What is Clientside MVC?
- Concepts – A bird’s eye view of ClientsideMVC, what it does, how it works
- Benefits of using Clientside MVC – How the approach can make your life easier
- Global websites using this technology – Household names already in this space
Sounds Awesome, what’s the catch?
- The greater (and lesser) known pitfalls of Clientside – It’s not all gravy.
- The issue with Large Datasets – Representing gigabytes of data on the client
- The (Late) Great SEO problem – Search Engine Optimisation and rendering clientside content on the server
- Uptake, Compatibility, and developer resistance – Browser and mobile compatibility and the serverside old guard
The BigCommerce Clientside MVC Journey
- Migration Plans – How we decided to approach the move
- Start Small, Don’t Give Up – An account of the first small steps and the problems faced and overcome
- Mobile Applications – The specific problems with mobile apps in this approach
- The Ongoing Journey – Our customer feedback, how we’re not done yet, and the miles to go
How do I do All the Cool Things?
- A Thousand and one frameworks, and rolling your own – AngularJS, Ember, Backbone, Mozart
- An example app, the canonical Todo in MVC – TodoMVC
- Serverside technologies to support this approach – Node.JS, Ruby/Rails, PHP, .NET
- API Integration – API styles and how the various frameworks deal with them
- Getting the best out of JS and HTML5 – Why and how all of this became possible
- Realtime apps with WebSockets
Links, More Info, Further Reading
Q & A